It’s flu season and sometimes we feel a little defenseless against fighting this menace, but there are things that we can do to limit the spread of disease. There are common practices that can help limit the spread of the flu that if we all acted upon would go a long way towards helping to limit the spread of the disease. The CDC has listed the following steps towards preventing the spread of the flu:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.*
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you are sick with flu–like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
If you can follow these steps you will be doing a great service towards limiting the spread of the flu. You can also talk to your doctor if you do have the flu to see what you can do to help your symptoms. You will be happy that you have Blue Cross NC health insurance if you do get the flu because North Carolina health insurance can go a long way towards helping you get better and back on your feet!